The first part of my maternity leave we were busy getting the house ready, finishing projects, and driving around a lot to get stuff basically which made time go by and we felt busy. I wanted the baby room done, our living room done (since I know people will be coming over and I know I would be dying inside with it not finished), and the storage stuff done. It's not perfect yet but its livable and doesn't look like a tornado went through. I know once you have a baby you shouldn't worry about messes or stuff like that. But I know I would. I HATE it when my home is messy and not looking good/organized for when people come over. That is something I will definitely need to work on. But its more the feng shui of the furniture, pictures on the walls and the organization of the house that I am more crazy about. Don't get me wrong shoes and clothes laying around the house twist my insides but I like it when the decor flows.
I may or may not have mentioned this before, but our new house has basically no storage minus a small shed outside, a small tiny closet in the babies room, and a pantry off the kitchen. SO. We made the pantry our walk-in closet because it drove me crazy originally having our closet seen by the world every time you walked in the back door (Dustin drilled a pole against a wall to hang our clothes on). It was madness.
The shed is packed with stuff we don't normally use like suitcases, holiday stuff, Dustin's bajillion cords/techy stuff, binders of stuff/memorabilia, etc.
Annnnd the tiny baby closet is packed to the rim with all sorts of randoms. I hate dressers and I wasn't planning on it, but we may have to get one for the babies room.
So anyway, now that a lot of stuff is done and we have organized our house for the most part, I can relax at home and not have to waste $5 a gallon driving around Sonoma County. It's like pins and needles every time I look at the level of gas we have left in our car. I think there is a little elf stealing our gas over night. Stupid gas.
I keep trying to tell myself to "make sure I relax" before this baby comes. And not just lay about the house. That part is easy, but to relax my mind and enjoy the quiet alone time I have to myself. To take in these last alone moments with Dustin, to mentally prepare myself for the reality and not take up my thinking time of what I need to do around the house or errands.
For example, when a girl is getting engaged, a lot of the time she is so focused on the planning part leading up to the wedding that she forgets to really take it all in and enjoy the moment. We did a wedding photo shoot a couple weeks ago and the bride was rushing us taking pictures and worrying about this or that and not enjoying her day as much as we thought she should have. And that is what I am trying to do these last couple weeks I have before this little girl comes and changes EVERYTHING.
The only thing I wish we would have had time and money to do before that day comes, is to get away with Dustin and stay somewhere for a weekend with just us. But, moving is expensive, preparing a house for a baby is expensive, and freaking gas costs are outrageous!!!!!! So no getaway for us.
All I have to do as far as errands go are to chill, make freezer meals, go on walks more, and sleep.
Thursday, October 11, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment