Sunday, February 19, 2012

Technology and children...

Technology and media is everywhere. Everyone has a phone/ipod/ipad/computer/tv whatever device that they love more than some of their friends it seems sometimes. I hate it. Don't get me wrong the media has made it very helpful for communication and the internet is great when you want to research like a certain sickness you are having and you can find out what to do rather than spending money and going to the hospital. But at the same time it is horrible for communication. People aren't as personable, old school manners are lost because we have to cut our sentences short in a message to save time or we forget how to really talk to someone one-on-one.
I waste a lot of time on the internet, I admit. I don't like how I feel after I have sat on my computer for hours. People have forgotten how to just be with people. If it is quiet in a room or not a whole lot is going on they will jump on their laptops or ipods or phones and lose their minds believing there is nothing else they could do. Um, how did civilization live up until now without all this crap? They talked, played games (not Angry Birds on their media devices), went outside, were one with nature, actually worked with their hands outside, etc.
I will try my absolute hardest to not let my kids lose their minds into technology and media and try to help them to be hard workers, kids with good manners, kids that appreciate the outdoors, know how to communicate well with people, get dirty every now and then...
I don't plan on having cable. That is a start. They can't just flip on the tv, sit their with their mouths open drooling and losing brain cells... Then you would say, well you can just watch whatever you want these days on the internet, for free. Yep. That will be my biggest struggle.
My kids will NOT have a cell phone until they are at least 14. I wasn't allowed to have one until I was 16. Kids these days have them in elementary school. Are you kidding me? Yeah they can call you if they need you. But I did fine with the school office phone if it really was an emergency. If I am really too paranoid, maybe I'll just install a tracking device on the kids backpack lol.
I am really worried it will ruin my kids. Dustin is a huge geek and media guy and so limiting some of these things is near impossible for him.
It would be perfect if we could move out into the country for a few years where we are far away from it in the kids beginning years. Buuuuut that most likely won't happen. So I will have to get creative between helping my kids and well, helping my husband as well I guess.
Wish me luck... When the day happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment